Wednesday, September 13, 2017

It is with some trepidation and mortification that I admit to you all: I just finished watching the entirety of Girls.  And I liked it.  (I realize that I am very late to the party on this one.  I'm a resident.  Sue me.)

In a way, the show made me feel better about things that have happened to me over the course of my post-college life.  Topics that resonated with me (probably unsurprisingly) included:

- The fading of college friendships as interests diverge.
- Not knowing what you want to do with your life.
- Figuring out what you want to do with your life, and realizing that the process is going to be long and onerous.  For everyone.
- Failing, and picking yourself back up again.  Repeatedly.
- Having things go well in one part of your life, only to be disrupted by things going badly in another part of your life.
- The general intolerance of people for whom things are going well (currently) of other people who are having a hard time.

I guess it made me feel less alone, and that there's something to be said for the struggle.  In a way, that's really all there is.

I think liking this show is not something I'm supposed to admit.... like it means that I am a narcissistic whiny lazy POS who just looks for excuses for my personal failures.

Even if you think that every character on that show is an asshole, or that if you can identify with the show in any way you must be one too, the bottom line is that in some way, we're all assholes.  Even if you won't admit it to yourself.  Maybe even especially then.

So there.

2 comments:

the Frugal Ecologist said...

Interesting - I tried watching 1 episode and couldn't get into it. Might try again. With GoT and Silicon Valley over, I need a new show.

dolce vita said...

I watched it off/on, but I think between GoT and Veep, I was done with HBO for a while. I did actually really like it, because I, and my college friends can relate to a lot of those experiences in some way. I went straight through to an MD/PhD post MS, but my friends did explore their lives around for 10 years post-college. We were all assholes at some point, and hopefully, we are less so now, and will continue to be less so in the future. It's not my favorite watch, but it is satisfying.

Absolutely relate to how people are unsympathetic when their lives are great and others' aren't. Year 6 of an MD/PhD program where my NRSA was not funded despite receiving a (what my mentor and thought) good score, and the majority of comments from funded peers were...not helpful...And this was DESPITE me receiving other grants to completely fund me-I still felt like shit for about a year and was reminded many times how it was so odd(!) that my NRSA wasn't funded. Did I have any reason why?

It's such a small issue looking back, but in the context of some not great experiences in lab at the time, it was just a very very rough time. I am glad it triaged my peers into 'real friends' and 'people I have to see' :p